GNU Terry Pratchett
Mar. 30th, 2015 03:36 pmIt’s been over two weeks since Terry Pratchett passed away, and this is my third attempt to write something about it. Everything I thought of before either felt too rambly or too… too self-important to publish, so I’m taking a different course.
Terry’s writing is one of the best things in this world. That, at least, has not changed even though his passing has made the world a lesser place. More specifically, his writing has been an important part of me for about half my life. The Discworld series is as old as I am, and I will always regret not discovering it even earlier.
I’m not a hugely fannish person - my forte lies in creating new things. But Discworld is one of the few things where I’d call myself a Fan, and mean it, caps and all. It’s the only thing in the world I ever wrote fanfiction for.
We knew he was living on borrowed time, and that he wanted to say goodbye to us in his own way if his condition became too much. But also, that he was not ready to quit while he still had words and worlds inside of him to share with us, so he kept writing, indefatigable, and every new book was a treasure. Still, part of me did not expect the end would come so soon.
So I cried when my husband called me with the news as I was going home from work, sobbing in the middle of the street, and I am still mourning. As luck would have it, I had already been planning to talk about Discworld during a team building excercise we had on the 16th, and I debated leaving it out instead, but I kept it in even though I choked up again when I mentioned he had passed away. I would like to do something more than write this… confession - write some new fanfic, do some fanart - but somehow I find that even more difficult than writing this post. Maybe I’m just not ready yet.
In the meantime I’ll be rereading most of my collection and eagerly awaiting the final Tiffany Aching book.
GNU Terry Pratchett. You gave us Discworld, and in doing so shaped our own Roundworld just as surely. We will not forget.
Terry’s writing is one of the best things in this world. That, at least, has not changed even though his passing has made the world a lesser place. More specifically, his writing has been an important part of me for about half my life. The Discworld series is as old as I am, and I will always regret not discovering it even earlier.
I’m not a hugely fannish person - my forte lies in creating new things. But Discworld is one of the few things where I’d call myself a Fan, and mean it, caps and all. It’s the only thing in the world I ever wrote fanfiction for.
We knew he was living on borrowed time, and that he wanted to say goodbye to us in his own way if his condition became too much. But also, that he was not ready to quit while he still had words and worlds inside of him to share with us, so he kept writing, indefatigable, and every new book was a treasure. Still, part of me did not expect the end would come so soon.
So I cried when my husband called me with the news as I was going home from work, sobbing in the middle of the street, and I am still mourning. As luck would have it, I had already been planning to talk about Discworld during a team building excercise we had on the 16th, and I debated leaving it out instead, but I kept it in even though I choked up again when I mentioned he had passed away. I would like to do something more than write this… confession - write some new fanfic, do some fanart - but somehow I find that even more difficult than writing this post. Maybe I’m just not ready yet.
In the meantime I’ll be rereading most of my collection and eagerly awaiting the final Tiffany Aching book.
GNU Terry Pratchett. You gave us Discworld, and in doing so shaped our own Roundworld just as surely. We will not forget.
no subject
Date: 2015-03-30 03:06 pm (UTC)You are the one who really introduced me to Discworld, and although really getting in to the world is still on my bucket list, I'm still very saddened by his passing. He was obviously quite remarkable and will be missed, and yes, remembered. I think any way you choose to memorialize him someday will be wonderful.
*more snugs*
no subject
Date: 2015-03-30 07:05 pm (UTC)Tiffany is my favourite so it is a sad happiness that she is his last book.
I'm not ready to re-read yet. I'm sure if you give yourself some more time you will be able to write or draw.